Many individuals and families who come to CHI for shelter have lost everything. Many show up with nothing more than the clothes on their backs.
Fortunately, each year dozens of individuals, businesses and faith-based and community organizations donate a variety of goods or services for those housed in CHI shelters. Around the holidays, for example, gifts are brought in for children who otherwise might have none. Food is donated for festive dinners for those who have no other place to go. Gift cards in small denominations help families purchase toiletries and other household items.
CHI happily accepts in-kind donations all year round for our clients. Following are some suggested items most in need:
- Clothing: socks, new underwear, jeans, boots, sneakers, hooded sweatshirts, jackets, hats, gloves (large and durable), and thermal underwear.
- Personal essentials: towels, backpacks, duffle bags, and laundry detergent.
- Personal hygiene products: deodorant, razors, shaving cream, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and combs.
- Teen needs: footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, electronics, movie tickets, and public transportation tickets.
- Group supplies: playing cards, Scrabble, chess, checkers, ESL books, and other books and magazines.
Like any charitable gift, in-kind donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law and donors receive proper acknowledgement from CHI. To donate, please contact Maggie Goldfarb at 631.475.6390, ext 2240, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.